If you’re looking for some easy mermaid face painting designs, we’ve got plenty of inspiration for you!
Shimmery scales and tails come to life with these beautiful mermaid face paint ideas!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read our full disclosure policy here.
Mermaids rule the under-the-sea world, and finding face paint ideas that portray that is important.
Whether you want a seashell on your face, a full mermaid look, or just the tail, then this list is for you.
You’ll find colorful design ideas right along with deep sea treasures such as jewels and gems, making a fun nautical design that can accompany a Halloween costume, a Little Mermaid birthday party, or any other fun event!
Helpful Supplies for Creating Your Mermaid Face Paint Designs
Having the right supplies and tools will make it even easier to execute these fun designs, especially if you’re a beginner!
- To achieve the look of mermaid tail scales the easy way, a stencil will be super helpful!
- If you want multiple colors in your design, it can be helpful to have a split cake palette. They already contain all of the colors you need, so you can load each color onto your flat brush or sponge at once! Or choose multiple palettes, like this set from Fusion Body Art Face Paints.
- For a good quality, basic palette of face and body paints that you can use for multiple designs, this Snazaroo party pack set is perfect for getting started. This is also helpful for having white and black face paint for outlines or colorful swirls around your design.
- This chunky glitter gel is perfect for adding sparkle to your mermaid designs.
- If there will be guests at your kids’ party who may not want their face painted, you could offer mermaid temporary tattoos as a great alternative.
Be sure to also check out the best ways to remove face paint!
Mermaid Face Painting Design Ideas
Choosing just one of these mermaid face painting designs may be hard. You may want to do them all!
These are face designs that anyone can do, so just follow the tutorials.
1. Simple Mermaid Face Paint
Mermaid face paint doesn’t have to be extravagant, this mermaid face paint design will make you happy because it’s simple!
Use a stencil to give the look of scales, plus blues and purples to simulate water. There’s a pretty white seashell in the middle, too, just for a little something extra.
2. Seashell Mermaid Face Paint
Mermaids love seashells and this face paint idea works great for anyone looking to have a unique design.
I love the sparkles added to the shell, as well as the larger scales.
3. Mermaid Tail Face Paint
This mermaid tail fans out from between the eyes and the overall look is amazing!
The colors are blue, pink, and sparkly, with a few stenciled mermaid scales. Because it’s simple, this may be the idea that teaches you how to do mermaid face paint.
4. Sparkle and Shine Mermaid Face Paint Design
It’s your time to shine with this mermaid face paint design! This one is a little more intricate, but not too difficult. You can always stick to one base color instead of using multiple colors, too.
And the final result is amazing!
I love how the tail is painted on the cheek, and plenty of sparkles give it some extra pizazz.
5. Simple Side Mermaid Design
This lovely mermaid face paint just drapes along the side of the face. It’s simple and that’s the thing to love about it.
The blues and purple paint colors are perfect for an under-the-sea theme, but you could use different colors if you prefer.
6. Mermaid Eye
Looking for a little glam? This mermaid eye makeup is a great face paint design!
It can go with an existing look or it can be a look all on its own.
A simple outline of scales with face paint marker or eyeliner and adding face paint or eyeshadow for the pop of color is an easy way to create an impressive design.
And don’t forget the glitter!
7. Mermaid Scales All the Way
The tail of the mermaid is special, it’s full of beautiful, shimmery, iridescent scales, just like a fish.
This face paint design shows that off! Adding the purple lipstick is a nice touch, too.
8. Pink Mermaid Princess
Mermaid face designs come in all shapes and sizes but this pink mermaid princess is hard to beat. This is an all pink design, so make sure you check it out!
It’s definitely more intricate, and may not be the best choice for a beginner face painter. But if you have some experience or artistic talent, give it a whirl!
9. Colorful Jewels Mermaid
This mermaid face paint design incorporates the eyes and the middle of the forehead, giving the look of a mermaid princess tiara.
The final touch is adding jewels. The look is so beautiful!
10. Mermaid Queen
If you’re looking for a mermaid face design that will make you look amazing, then this look is for you!
It’s a full fledged mermaid silhouette across the forehead, using lots of vibrant colors.
Stencils are the name of the game here, and a great way to keep this design easy.
11. Super Easy Mermaid Face Paint for Kids
This design makes use of the netting from Babybel cheese to create the look of scales! Talk about resourceful!
It’s an easy option for kids who might not be able to sit still very long.
12. Step by Step Mermaid Face Paint Tutorial
If you need a step-by-step tutorial to walk you through the process, this design is for you!
The video tutorial will show you exactly what you need to do to get a stellar mermaid look.
13. Ariel Face Paint Design
If you have a little one who’s obsessed with The Little Mermaid, then this Ariel design is for you!
It’s a free-hand design that gives the look of the animated mermaid we all know and love.
Mermaid Face Paint Ideas
There is no shortage of mermaid face paint ideas. In fact, there is a mermaid look for everyone–kids and adults alike!
Whether you want simple or extravagant, these fun face paint examples are for you! Enjoy wearing one of the fabulous designs to your next Halloween party, Ariel birthday party, and more!
Face Paint Your Favorite Character:
Easy Face Paint Animal Designs:
- The Best Dog Face Paint Ideas
- Fantastic Dragon Face Paint Ideas
- Dinosaur Face Painting Designs
- Magical Unicorn Face Paint Ideas
- Beautiful Butterfly Face Paintings
- Cute Bunny Face Paint Ideas
Face Paint Ideas for Halloween:
- 20+ Easy Kid Face Painting Ideas for Halloween
- Easy Pumpkin Face Painting Ideas
- Skeleton Face Painting Ideas for Halloween
Be sure to save these ideas for later on Pinterest!